Basic Knowledge for the Best Stamp Collecting
By John Finch
- Some History of Stamp Collecting
- Starting Collecting and Using the Tools
- Stamp Collecting in the 21st Century
Some History of Stamp Collecting
It is good to know how stamp collecting arrived where it is today. There were stars and heroes who were instrumental in spreading the collecting bug around the world. There were also businessmen who saw the potential for making a buck and journalists who saw the celebrities and characters and knew there were stories to be written. It was the golden age of collecting and many of today's stamp collecting trends can be traced back to that time.
- Discover Where Stamp Collecting is Going by Looking at Its Past
- Celebrate with a USPS Pictorial Postmark
- Some Stories That Shaped Stamp Collecting in 2010
Starting Collecting and Using the Tools
When starting out it is best to be limited in one's collecting. It is essential to stay organized and focused on your particular area of interest. A small investment in collecting tools, such as albums, stockbooks, catalogs, and tongs will pay large dividends later with an attractive and valuable collection. Remember: it is a great thing to hunt down marvelous stamps for your collection, but after you have them you must consider their proper care and feeding. Give your stamps a good home and treat them well and they will treat you well.
- What is Stamp Collecting?
- Being a Stamp Collector
- Things to Avoid with Your Stamps
- Review of Guide to Stamp Collecting by Janet Klug
- How to Handle Stamps
- The Compleat Philatelist by Herman Herst
- Stuck with Self-Stick Stamps
- How to Start Collecting United States Stamps
- Stamp Collecting with Tech Tools Brings Glitches
Stamp Collecting in the 21st Century
Technology has brought many changes to traditional stamp collecting. The stamp shop around the corner is gone: buying and selling occurs mostly online. The Internet has brought virtual stamp clubs, journals and chat rooms into the philatelic world, impacting the way the 21st century collector relates to other collectors and collects his stamps. Maximum enjoyment of the hobby means staying abreast of these changes.